Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Monday, October 6, 2014

An Experience Without

I had, and have, many plans for this trip, activities I wanted to do and areas I want to see.  Friends to visit, books I want to read.  Ways to make this journey more fun and bring it to a deeper level.  One of the latter was to spend a day in a small (think 10'x10') area without food, books, Oracle, journal, anything but layers and water.

A friend of mine in Missoula, MT, Kate Stanley, helped by driving me out to Rattlesnake Creek one morning (thankfully free of rattlesnakes) and dropping me off, making plans to pick me up in 24 hours.  I hadn't eaten since midnight the night before.  I hiked up a small mountain and chose a spot.  

A photosphere of my spot, just before
I started and turned off my phone

It was an interesting experience all around, and I would do it again if next time with a journal and pen, or watercolors, so I don't spend the whole time sleeping.  The most intriguing aspect of this experience was the hunger.

I expected to be bored, have revelations, think of nothing but food all day, or seethe with bottled energy.  In truth, I slept most of the day.  I paced back and forth a bit on an animal path that bisected my area; I sat and thought; I wove a small basket out of grass, and I took many naps.  I was never once hungry.  At one point I tried to think of banana bread and sandwiches, just to try to elicit some bodily response, but it held no interest and my mind soon drifted to other subjects.  I believe that it helped that there was no food to be had for miles, and my body and mind knew that.  When I returned to Kate's house the next morning, I eased into breakfast without haste, or urgency.  This was my first time fasting, and it was illuminating.  How often does my stomach ache with hunger after a mere couple of hours without food or snacks?  I never realized that in the same way that the urgency to poop increases with the expected proximity to accommodations, my hunger is tied to expectation of food.  I would like to press this point and see when hunger truly makes its face known.  I halfway expected that it never will, and when I do decided to break fast and eat, it will be in response to bodily weakness rather than stomach pains.  But that is a trial for another time.


1.75 quarts of mint ice cream



I recommend something like this experience.  I recommend taking time to find what is left of you when you remove everything external- computer, phones, company, food, places to explore.  As Oriah Mountain Dreamer said, "I want to know if you can be alone with yourself, and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments."

-----------------------------

Typed this up in Riggins, ID, at 4583 miles

-----------------------------

Chelsea Cash, if you read this, the hill right after Stites is the godfather of killer hills, and Stites' water supply has E Coli. Fill up early.

2 comments:

  1. I also tried fasting for a day for the first time recently. I couldn't get food off my mind! Must have been the proximity to it. But, I agree that it was a very eye-opening experience, despite all the sleepiness it brought. You are very inspiring Oliver. I love following your travels on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that a lot of the absence of hunger has to do with the severe lack of need for food, at least in your case. You've been cycling day in and day out and all of a sudden you are moving very little for an entire day, compared to cycling that is. Your body just doesn't need to eat. Add to that the fact that you slept and napped which puts your body in an even deeper state of efficiency. It's not too surprising from that point of view.
    I took a day off in Kansas and barely ate 2 mangos. They were enough to get rid of the hungry feeling. At night I had to force a full meal down because I knew I'd need it the following day.

    A day off in Rattlesnake creek sounds great though. Too thing there were no snakes.

    ReplyDelete