Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Monday, August 25, 2014

Night Rider

During the day, Kansas is hot.  Triple digits.  Each night we sleep outside we need to look east to make sure there is a barrier, to protect the tent from turning into an insufferable sauna the moment the morning sun peeks malevolently over the horizon.  For a northerner like myself, the idea of being outside during the hottest hours, 2-6pm, is anathema.  I have developed a sympathy for Dracula.
 
The past few days we have ridden 20-30 miles until noon, and then we find somewhere to hide, such as a library or church, until six.  Then we continue riding late into the night.  It is peaceful.  It is cool.  It is quiet.
 
I do not mean that there is any less noise.  There is still the whistle of wind past my face, the occasional rumble or cars and trucks, the small noises of animals.  I cannot explain the silence of standing still on a night-flat road, surrounded by a cathedral of stars.  I can only describe the sounds that shape that silence, the soft subtle murmurs that are lost in other places, other times.  The sound of a determined wind making its uninterrupted way across an endless field.  The small harsh grate of gravel shifting underneath a foot.  The hush of lungs expanding with air.  The creak of a rear wheel.  The rhythm of your own heart, inaudible and pervasive.
 
Isn't it curious that the less light there is, the further we can see?  Last night I oriented myself to the galactic disk and realized I was, relatively, creeping down a vertical cliff.  Over long hours I watch the big dipper scoop up a piece of Kansas.  Shooting stars track across a trackless sky and I make my steady way toward my destination, a glow on the horizon, 20 miles away.  
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and for those of you who weren't able to send a care package or a letter the first time, here's another address!  We'll probably be there in about a week and a day.

Oliver Mednick
General Delivery
Fairplay, CO 80440

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
So far I have gone 2887 miles and am writing in the Jordon Library in Larned, KA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Highlights of the last few days:
  • Seeing my first armadillo... almost hitting my first armadillo
  • Seeing my first prairie dog, and then immediately seeing twenty more
  • Taking a zero day in Newton with a very nice family from WarmShowers
  • The next day, being treated to lunch and later dinner by two separate Kansasians.
  • and a Pre-Highlight! 
    • Today we are going to make a second attempt at 200 miles in 24 hours.  At 6pm we will head out and aim to make 140 more miles before 9:05 am.
      
Evidence of my grandfather's ruffian years
Kansas is hot.  This is also where I found my first cactus
We found a kitchen and made banana bread, yeast bread, dozens of cookies, and pancakes.
I made it to the bike shop on a wing and a prayer before my tire completely blew

Lastly, I don't know if this will work like it's suppose to,
but it's a photosphere of the Viaduct in NC

 

2 comments: